Polka dots are a fun theme for any party, and they also make a great addition to any other party theme. You can make the polka dots any color you like to fit anything from a first birthday to a hip teen's party.
- Round decorator tip like Wilton #12
- Wilton #10 tip
- 2 pastry or plastic bags
- Prepare the Basic Yellow Cake, following the directions for two 9-inch round pans. Allow cake to cool for 40 minutes. Prepare a cake plate, or cover a 12 inch round piece of cardboard with decorative foil, to display your cake.
- Prepare 1-1/2 batches of the Butter Cream Icing. Divide the icing equally among three small bowls (about 1/2-cup per bowl). Mix each portion of icing with one of the food colors (blue, green, purple), adding a few drops at a time until you get the shade you desire.
- Level the tops of both cooled cakes with a serrated knife, or cake leveler, and put some of the icing on the cake board to hold the cake in place before adding the bottom layer of cake, cut side down.
- Add white icing to the top of the bottom layer of cake before adding the second cake on top. Use a knife or spatula to give the whole cake a thin layer of white icing to seal in the crumbs. Let the cake sit for 15 to 20 minutes to give the crumb layer of icing time to dry, then add a second, thicker layer of white icing.
- Use a round tip like the Wilton #12 tip, and a pastry bag to randomly add the polka dots in all three colors. If you only have one tip, clean the tip between colors. Once the icing polka dots have had a few minutes to dry, use a piece of wax paper to flatten them. Lay a small piece of wax paper over each polka dot and press straight down gently with your finger tips; remove the wax paper and use it to flatten the next polka dot.
- Add a ruffle around the bottom of the cake with a Wilton #10 (or similar) decorating tip and a pastry bag. You can use any of the three colors of icing you used to make the polka dots. Lift and wiggle the tip slightly back and forth, squeezing out icing while you go all the way around the base of the cake to make the icing ruffle.
2 to 2-1/2 hours
Baking Time: 30 minutes